Zamora is new UPHSI principal
Dr. Lourdes Callanta Zamora was appointed as the new principal of the UP High School in Iloilo, College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), U.P. Visayas. She will serve for a term of three years, that is, from July 1, 2015 to May 31, 2018.
Zamora, upon assuming the UPHSI leadership, geared to position the laboratory secondary school of the Master of Education Program of UP Visayas as a leader in the K-12 education reform agenda. “Being an integral part of the Philippine Basic Education system, UPHSI should help realize the K-12 goals by instituting a strong well-planned junior and senior high school program characterized by a seamless spiral progression of learning competencies,” Zamora emphasized.
As the newly appointed principal, Zamora also envisions to steer the UPHSI during her term in designing the six-year high school program by pursuing a three-point work agenda, which include:
1) Development of a senior high school program offering an academic track in three strands in collaboration with the academic units of the CAS, College of Management, College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, and School of Technology during AY 2015-2016
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- Accountancy, Business and Management (ABM)
- Humanities and Social Sciences (HUMSS)
2) Comprehensive review and revision of the existing UPHSI Junior High School Program over a two-year period starting AY 2015-2016
3) Staggered pilot implementation of the Senior Science High School and the revised Junior High School Programs over a 3-year period starting AY 2016-2017.
Zamora earned her PhD. in Science Education (Mathematics) degree at the UP Open University in 2008; her Master of Education (Mathematics) degree from UP Visayas in 1983; and her Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) degree from UP Diliman in 1977.
An Associate Professor of Mathematics, she has been appointed to the following posts: Asst. to the Vice Chancellor for Administration, Director of the Graduate Program Office, Coordinator of the UP Visayas Learning Center of the UP Open University, and Chairperson of the Division of Professional Education of CAS.
She was awarded various scholarships, such as the UP Government Scholarship, DOST-SEI PhD. Scholarship Grant and the Dr. Prospero A. Flores Professorial Chair Award for Asst Professor of Mathematics. Her Doctoral Dissertation entitled “The Quality of Students’ Mathematical Proofs as a Function of Classroom Assessment – A Qualitative-Quantitative Analysis” was awarded the 2008 Best Doctoral Dissertation (Curriculum and Instruction-Science and Mathematics Education Category) by the Philippine Association of Graduate Education–Region 6.
She has also been involved in various research and extension endeavors that exemplify UP’s ideal of serving the community and country. (With sources from the UPHSI)
By: Anna Razel L. Ramirez