MOA for UPV main building restoration signed
UP Visayas Chancellor Rommel A. Espinosa and National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) Chair Serena Diokno signed the Memorandum of Agreement for the restoration and preservation of the UPV Main Building in Iloilo City on November 24, 2016 at the GCEB Audio Visual Room, UPV, Iloilo City campus.
A P40M grant was given by the national government for the restoration through the NHCP. Additional funds are further proposed to complete the restoration.
UPV Vice Chancellor for Administration, Prof. Nestor G. Yunque, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Emilia Yap, and Vice Chancellor for Planning and Development Evelyn Belleza were present during the MOA signing.
The other guests who witnessed the MOA signing include Architect Friscian Panganiban as well as the committee who facilitated the submission of the proposal for restoration headed by Prof Martin G. Genodepa including its members Dr. Alicia P. Magos, Dr. Randy Madrid, Prof. Celia Parcon, Anna Razel Ramirez, and Lea Papilota.
In 1933, known Filipino architect Juan Arellano conceptualized the UPV Main Building, which was originally the Iloilo City Hall. Its sculptural decorations were executed by the famous Italian sculptor Francesco Riccardo Monti with the assistance of local artisans. The building together with its site of approximately 10 hectares was donated for the exclusive use of U.P. Iloilo College by the Municipal Board of Iloilo City in 1947.