Regent Arinto visits UPV
“The faculty members are the most important resource of UP and they are expected to excel.”
So said newly-elected UP Faculty Regent Dr. Patricia Arinto who was in the UP Visayas Miagao campus in the morning of February 2, 2017 at the UPV Iloilo city campus in the afternoon, to meet and consult with the faculty members.
Arinto set the tone by saying that the gathering is really just a “getting to know you” meeting. Nevertheless, the faculty members present were able to raise some issues and concerns. In a nutshell, these are as follows:
- if UP is really bound to follow CHED Memorandum Order 23, Series 2009 requiring students to undergo On the Job Training (OJT);
- safety implications for students undergoing OJT;
- difficulties for students in securing a permit do their practicum in other UP units and government agencies;
- difficulty in attracting highly qualified faculty members to teach in the Miagao campus;
- explore the possibility of sharing faculty members among UP units offering the same or similar academic programs as an inter-CU collaboration,
- faculty members to observe a code ethics;
- the need to orient new faculty administrators on administrative and governance matters;
- the need to mentor young faculty members;
- the need for peer evaluation among faculty members; and
- observance of collegiality among the faculty members.
Arinto was a former director of the UP System Information Office (1997-1999). She started her career in UP at the Department of English and Comparative Literature, College of Arts and Letters, UP Diliman in 1989. In 1999, she moved to the UP Open University.
The current FR is no stranger to UPV, being a graduate of the UP Visayas Tacloban College with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts degree, magna cum laude. She earned her Master of Arts in Comparative Literature degree from UP Diliman and her Doctor in Education degree from the Institute of Education, University of London.
Her term as faculty regent started on January 1, 2017 for a term of two years.