Guidelines for Admission of a Non-Regular Student (Foreign and Local Students)
Non-regular students are:
non-degree students, with credits
cross-registrants, with credits; or
special students, without credit
A degree holder or undergraduate student who is not currently enrolled in any other institution of higher learning may be allowed to take for credit courses on the graduate and/or undergraduate level, respectively provided that this student satisfies the appropriate requirements for admission to the University. He shall not be allowed to enroll for more than one semester, except by special permission of the Dean of the college concerned and the Registrar.
Since he does not follow any organized program of study, a non-degree student is not a prospective candidate for graduation for any degree in the University.
Cross Registrants or Exchange Students with MOA- (Cross-Registrant applies directly at the respective colleges of UPV; Exchange Students with MOA with UPV sends application &/or recommendation from school at the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs through the International Relations Officer)
Cross-registrants are students of other UP units or other institutions who enroll in a college/school of UP Visayas with credits.
A student registered in another collegiate institution and who wishes to cross-register in UPV must present a written permit from his Dean, Director, or Registrar. The permit shall state the total number of units for which the student may be registered and the subjects that he is authorized to take in the University. His photograph with his signature at the back and signed across by his Dean, Director, or Registrar must be attached to the permit.
1. U.P. Form 3.1 or U.P. Form 3.2/ application letter/ recommendation letter addressed to: The University Registrar, U.P. Visayas, Miagao, Iloilo, Philippines
2. Application fee of P100.00 (for local applicants) & $20 (for foreign students except for Exchange Students with MOA)
3. Permit to cross-enroll from the Dean or authorized official of the College/University*
4. Student Directory Form
5. Two passport size or 2x2 photos
6. Medical Certificate
7. NSO Marriage Certificate, for married female applicant (for local and foreign students)
8. NSO Birth Certificate (for local students) or its equivalent (for foreign students)
9. Valid passport, the pages showing the name, number, picture, date & place of birth,
date & place of issuance, visa & authorized stay (present the original & submit a photocopy for foreign students)
10. Special Study Permit from the Bureau of Immigration (for foreign students)
11. Personal History Statement (for foreign students)
* to be submitted to the host College of UPV (through channels). The host college will recommend the applicant for approval of the University Registrar.
A mature student, even if he does not fully satisfy the entrance requirements, may be admitted as a special student and may enroll for such subjects which, in the opinion of the Dean, he has the necessary information and ability to pursue profitably. He shall not be allowed to enroll for more than 9 units a semester or to register for more than two years, except by special permission of the Dean. Subjects taken shall be non-credit although his work may be reported at the end of each semester as "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory".
Every applicant should submit the following at least one month (for local students) and six months (for foreign students) prior to registration at the Office of the University Registrar, except for cross registrants who applies directly at the Office of the Dean of the respective colleges:
1. an accomplished application form (UP Form 3.1/UP Form 3.2)
2. attach an official copy of grades (for Non-Degree only) from each college attended signed by the Registrar or his/her authorized representative; or Official Transcript of Records (containing complete grades) with remarks "for evaluation purposes only" (1 original & 2 photocopies)
3. a non-refundable application fee of P100.00 (For Filipino), P150 (for resident foreign), $20 for non-resident (foreign) to the UPV cash Office or by sending International Money Order payable to University of the Philippines Visayas. Exchange Student with MOA is exempted from payment of the application fee.
4. Certification from a reputable bank in the applicant's country about his capability to finance the travel, educational, personal and other expenses he is expected to incur in his studies in the Philippines/Statement of Funding Support. (2 copies) -for foreign applicants only.
Result of Application:
The result of the initial evaluation done by the OUR will be available around the second week of May (for local applicants) or three weeks upon receipt of application. Applicants who satisfy the minimum requirements will still be referred to the respective colleges for final action.
You may confirm your status of admission by calling the Office of the University Registrar at tel. no. 3158556.
Please make alternative plans in case you are not admitted.
Submission of Entrance Credentials
All qualified applicants whose applications have been processed by the OUR and evaluated by the concerned units must submit the following before they are finally accepted and issued the University Admission Slip:
1. Official Transcript of Records - for ND & CR only
2. Certificate of Transfer Credentials or Honorable Dismissal - for ND only
3. Permit to Cross-Enroll - for CR only
4. Medical Certificate from UPV Health Services Unit - for all
5. NSO Copy of Birth Certificate - for local students only
6. NSO Copy of Marriage Contract - for married female applicants only (local & foreign students)
7. 2 pcs. 2x2 or passport-sized photographs - for all
8. Passport with acceptable visa (photocopy & original) - for foreign students only*
9. Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) for 9(f), 9 (g), and 47(a)(2) visa holders - for foreign students only.
10. Official TOEFL result. If medium of instruction in school/s he attended is not English - for foreign students applying for ND only.
11. Student Directory Form
12. Special Study Permit from the Bureau of Immigration*
* Foreign applicants for Special, Non-Degree and Cross Registrants may apply for Bureau of Immigration Special Study Permit in lieu of student visa 9(f) or other acceptable visa types: (e.g., 9(e), 9(e-1) or 9(e-2), 47(a)(2), 9(g), PD218, 9(d), or 13, 13(a) to 13(g). Exchange Students are required to apply for 47(a)(2) visa. Visayas other than student visa may be applied for at the Philippine Consulate/Embassy in the student's home country.
ND - Non-Degree
SS - Special Student
CR - Cross Registrants
For evaluation purposes, photocopies of records may be accepted provided they are properly authenticated by the Department of Education or by duly designated authorities in the country of the applicant. Final admission will be subject to verification of documents submitted against original copies of credentials. Certified English translations should be submitted, where necessary.
If credentials submitted are confirmed to be spurious, admission will be revoked.
Admission Flowchart for Non-Regular Students
[insert image here]